How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tina Your Own Question
Tina, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 8775
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Tina is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a question about transferring a car title, Minnesota

Customer Question

I have a question about transferring a car title
JA: What state is this in? And how old is the car?
Customer: Minnesota & 2009
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I filed the title request but it was denied
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 2 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Expert James replied 2 months ago.

Hello! Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is***** have over 12 years of legal experience. Please give me some time to consider your question.

Expert:  Expert James replied 2 months ago.

What is your question about this?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I obtained a vehicle in exchange for services. Before the title could be transferred, the original owner was charged with a dui. He has signed the title over to me but the dmv considers us too aquatinted and denied it. How do I resolve this legally?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Gifting does not apply, and you basically can't know the person. I checked civil court but the forms kind of say to file if you can't get the title signed. Mine is already signed, but the dmv insisted a judge must force the title transfer.
Expert:  Expert James replied 2 months ago.

OK, thank you. I have to make a phone call to a customer who requested one. Please be patient. IT might take a while to fulfill that phone call, but I will do that and then get right back to you. Your patience is very much appreciated.

Expert:  Expert James replied 2 months ago.

Is there some kind of lien on the vehicle?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No. Just the acquaintance issue
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Because it has whiskey plates
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Impounded plates
Expert:  Expert James replied 2 months ago.

I'm confused. The vehicle had impounded plates and he tried to title it to you?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
But I have had it since 2010, his violation was in 2011.
Expert:  Expert James replied 2 months ago.

Possession is not the same as ownership. When was the title filed?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
September of last year because he hasn't been around
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The work I did for the car was for his children who didn't even reside with him. He just provided their financial support. He has never possessed the vehicle nor has it been involved in any of his violations
Expert:  Expert James replied 2 months ago.

OK, so basically, you tried to take the title in 2016, even though you've had the car since 2010.

Your question is how to resolve this, legally. And as I suspected, and as the MN DPS has told you, they will not title the car to you under the circumstances.

The only option you now have is to go to the District Court and request an order from the court for the DPS to title the vehicle.

Have you read up on that process yet?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No, that's what I need help with.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
You are correct with the previous response.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Couldn't I just ask for an administrative review since the title is signed? Do I really have to go through the whole court process?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Are we done? I'm not sure, I've been waiting to see.
Expert:  Expert James replied 2 months ago.

No Sir/Madam,

I am still here. I needed to take a break to work with a client in private practice.

OK, in what county do you reside?