How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 116705
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a unique situation that I am curious if it's worth

Customer Question

Hi Pearl, I have a unique situation that I am curious if it's worth pursuing. It's a bit long i'm afraid - but it's necessary to convey the whole situation.
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: North Carolina
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No ma'am
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not that I can think of at the moment. I appreciate your help
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 month ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
What is your question?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank You Kindly,
I apologize that I have removed names for safety.I am a Property Manager who specializes in student housing. I have an issue that I am wondering if your law firm can assist with.My former employer was notified in January that I would be leaving the company to take over a small property at another University. The former company, +++, has been withholding personal property and refuses to return it. The main item in question is a personal touchscreen PC that contains all of my business dealings, marketing techniques, and legal documents.I originally told the company I would stay 60 days - until March 31st 2017. On March 29th the Property Manager at my new site walked out. I notified my old employer that I would be leaving to assist at the new site (4 corporate employees were present at at my former site where as the new site had zero). I was locked out of the building, and my apartment on site.The old site informed me they would be mailing my items. I told them I was more concerned with the computer (As it has all of my professional documents for the past 8 years).The old site kept saying "we're mailing it" until they finally quit talking. Over a month went by and I told them I was going to sue if it was not returned. They then said they would mail it again - this time they mailed a broken laptop that was a display.While waiting for the computer I learned from several individuals, and an employee, that they had hacked my computer and were using it. I wrote *** (Corporate Council at the former site) and informed him I had an attorney and would be seeking legal remedies for the hacking of private property. Council replied that they would only return the PC if I signed a very lengthy document promising not to sue. I'm afraid I'm not sure what is the best course of action and I would appreciate your legal assistance.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 month ago.
Thank you for your reply.
Please understand we cannot legally represent ANYONE from this site, it is forbidden by state law. You do have a serious issue and we can inform you of your rights and the next steps to take, but we cannot represent you to take the steps and you would need to get a local attorney to do that.
If you would like to proceed, let me know and I would be glad to provide you the information.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you sir, I would love to know your thoughts.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 month ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
First of all, hacking into your computer is a criminal offense and that is why their lawyers want a release. You do not have to sign one to get your property back. They have no legal right to hold your property. You need to inform them you are not signing a release and if they do not return your property within 5 business days you are going to file criminal charges with local law enforcement and the FBI for not only theft but computer hacking as well and pursue prosecution.
Second, you can file a civil suit against them not only demanding return of your property, but also seeking money damages for them making unauthorized access to your computer and also filing for an injunction to prohibit them from doing business with anyone on your database they accessed.
This is quite serious and their attorneys know it. So you need to inform them that you will sign no release and you will expect your property back or you will pursue criminal as well as civil remedies. Tell them in the letter as well that you demand all copies made of anything from your personal computer to be turned over to you in addition to return of the property.
If they refuse, then you file a complaint for theft and computer hacking with both the local police and the FBI and also use a local attorney to sue them for return of your property and monetary damage for the hacking plus the injunction.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.