Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

How many traffic laws, or mala prohibita, concerning all

Customer Question

How many traffic laws, or mala prohibita, concerning all aspects of traffic are there in Texas? Also, out of curiosity, how mant mala prohibita are listed on the books in Texas?
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: A citation for changing driver license back to Texas. I have a valid, until 2018 Wyoming DL. I need cataract surgery and had to wait 12 months for the surgery to be covered. I can see fine, but identifying letters is not possible. This is why I checked my eyesight last year, because I was having problems just reding, not seeing objects, like cars, lanes, things. I did not know about the DL time constraint. This is why I ask about the number ob mala prohibita an the books, because it is impossible for an ordinary citizen to know these things
JA: What state is this in? And how old is the car?
Customer: Texas
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Texas
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
I am afraid that the entire Texas traffic code are violations that are illegal because of the statutes. There are over 400 traffic code violations in the Texas traffic code (see: http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/Docs/TN/htm/TN.545.htm). The ordinary DRIVER is responsible for knowing what is in the traffic codes though by virtue of taking the drivers license test and by signing saying they have read he license book with all the major laws in it.
However, when someone takes a drivers license test they are imputed with the general knowledge of those codes, intent is not part of a traffic code violation. So someone does not have to intend to violate the traffic statutes, they are still guilty if they violate the codes.
If you moved to Texas and did not change your license and vehicle registration in the 30 days required then it is a statutory violation. The 30 day requirement is the same in most all of the states. No matter when you move to another state you have 30 days in every state to change your license and registrations over.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.