Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

My neighbor house caught, fire the fire travel through

Customer Question

My neighbor house caught, fire the fire travel through several houses including mine. My Insurance pays me for the damages except for the debris removal.I had to pay out of my pocket for debris removal.Can I sue my neighbor for the out of pocket cost?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If the neighbor's home caused damage to your home, then the neighbor is liable for the damages he caused. So, if you are out of pocket the debris removal fees, you can sue in small claims court if he or his insurance company will not pay for that damage that was not covered.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
what if it is an accident?what if it is caused by the tenant negligence? this is in New York
Thank you for your reply.
It does not matter if it was tenant negligence. You would sue both the owner and their tenant. Landlords are liable for damage their tenants cause to other property.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I got the information it sound good to me I will show my lawyer thank you very much
Thank you for your reply.