Richard, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with 29 years of experience.
17027240

Do I need an attorney to close a real estate deal in NJ? New

Customer Question

Do I need an attorney to close a real estate deal in NJ?
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: New Jersey
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: The seller is also the agent/broker and I, the buyer am not legally represented by anyone
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 month ago.

Hi! My name is Richard & I will be helping you today! It will take me a few minutes to type a response to your question. Thanks for your patience!

Expert:  Richard replied 1 month ago.

Good morning. You are not legally required to engage a lawyer to help you close this. But, as a buyer, I would recommend that you do unless you are an experienced real estate investor. As they say, the "devil is always in the details" and there is usually some kind of "hair" involved in real estate transactions, especially with the title exceptions, survey, and covenants, conditions and restrictions impacting the property. Many buyers without lawyers are not used to looking at the exceptions to title and the survey and miss critical easements, encroachments and/or liens that negatively impact them that they only discover later. So, in my experience, a review of your transactions by an attorney would be well worth the money spent.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your question. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as Good or Excellent (i.e., 4 or 5 stars)(hopefully Excellent/5 stars!). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!