Thelawman2
Thelawman2, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney-at-Law
66887675

I have a friend whose father turned 65 May 29th. He is not

Customer Question

I have a friend whose father turned 65 May 29th. He is not sighed up for medicare or any other kind of insurance.
This morning he has been having a weird taste (herbal) in his mouth, is dizzy and has some temporary memory loss which seems to be coming back.
Everyone wants to take him to the ER and they they will probably want him to get an MRI.
If he starts the process off enrolling in medicare now, will it help pay for his hospital visit?
We do not know how any of the signup process works.
His biggest concern is price. He does not have a lot of money. Our main concern is his heath but no one can convince him to go to the emergency room.
Expert:  Thelawman2 replied 4 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today.

Since your friend's father turned 65 on May 29th, he was eligible for Medicare on May 1st. Your friend should sign up their father online for medicare benefits by going to the following website: https://secure.ssa.gov/iClaim/rib.

The problem is that if he was not automatically enrolled before May, he is now signing up 1 month after he turned 65. As a result, overage will not start for him until the month after he signs up for Medicare. However, if he is currently receiving social security retirement benefits, then he may have been automatically signed up for Medicare when he turned 65. You should have your friend reach out to the medicare office to walk them through the enrollment process.