Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

What's the maximum distance allowable between a handicap

Customer Question

What's the maximum distance allowable between a handicap employee parking space and and the nearest employee entrance to the work building
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Florida
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I do not know. I do not think so
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Nothing significant that I can think of
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 3 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Section 208.3 of the FL ADA Building Compliance DOES NOT set a specific minimum distance and it states:
"...All spaces must be located on an accessible route that is at least 44 inches (1118 mm) wide and so that users are not compelled to walk or wheel behind parked vehicles except behind his or her own vehicle. Where parking serves more than one accessible entrance, parking spaces complying with 502 shall be dispersed and located on the shortest accessible route to the accessible entrances. If there are multiple entrances for multiple retail stores the parking spaces must be dispersed to provide parking at the nearest accessible entrance. In parking facilities that do not serve a particular building or facility, parking spaces complying with 502 shall be located on the shortest accessible route to an accessible pedestrian entrance of the parking facility...."
So your answer is that the spaces must be on the shortest accessible route to an accessible entrance.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.