How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 118200
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am being sued by an ex landlord solely out of spite for my

Customer Question

I am being sued by an ex landlord solely out of spite for my filing a lawsuit against them.Here is the situation, I used to rent a house from the people who are suing me. We became somewhat friends and they started to babysit my 14 year old daughter while I went to work. My daughter was sexually assaulted by a family friend while staying at their house.I had to quit my job to care for my daughter. I couldn't pay rent for 2 months so they evicted me. The guy who assaulted my daughter went to jail.I hired a lawyer and am in the process of suing the ex landlords for a considerable amount of money for their negligence at supervising my daughter.5 months after I was evicted the landlords received a letter from my attorney letting them know they are being sued. As a response they are taking me to small claims for $2100 with ridiculous claims that there were items missing from the rental house and damage. The claims are untrue and there was no mention of any of this until they received the letter from my attorney so it looks like I am going to lose more money by taking a day off work to go to small claims.I am hoping it will seem obvious to the judge what is going on here but my problem is that I have severe social anxiety and will freeze up when in front of the court. My question is what would be a good written response to this suit that I can give to the judge? Also can I counter sue in small claims for harassment and for how much money? I am really tired of losing money and sleep to these people.
Submitted: 3 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 3 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If the landlord is suing you in retaliation for you suing the landlord, this is called abuse of process and grounds to sanction the other party as well. It is up to YOU to raise this information in court to show the court that this is retaliatory and seek sanctions against them for damages.
If you get that anxious then you need to consider bringing an attorney to court to represent you in this matter, because you have a good chance here of recovering money against the landlord upon showing the court that the suit is frivolous and retaliatory.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.