Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I'm filing for Chapter 13 bankruptcy. My credit report has a…

I'm filing for Chapter 13...
I'm filing for Chapter 13 bankruptcy. My credit report has a credit card on it that is my father's and he has me on the account as an authorized user in case of emergencies. The credit card company has put it on my credit report with me as a co-applicant but this card should not be part of the bankruptcy proceedings. Is there any way to not involve this credit card in the filing?
6/2/2017
Ray, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

It needs to be part of your Chapter 13 if you want off the debt.It would dissolve your liability and only leave father on the account.You really want to discharge this debt from your name as part of Chapter 13 and your father would have sole liability for it.They may close the account.I see no way around it here if you have a balance and want it discharged from your name.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Thanks again.

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.

Thank you so much for your help. Follow up question if at all possible. We are officially filing this Monday. If I have my father close my part of the account today would his account then not be effected?

Yes it should.But you are still liable for the debt here if you don't include it.

Thank you truly. Just to make sure I understand : If I'm taken off the account today, and we file on Monday, then my father's account will not be effected by the bankruptcy filing, correct?

It should not be sine you are no longer on the account.

Thank you so much! I sincerely ***** ***** Since the account is still going to be listed on my credit report when I file (due to the time it takes credit report to show I'm no longer involved in the account once I'm removed today), will the credit card company still be notified about the bankruptcy?

They should not be if you are off the account.

Thank you, ***** ***** been truly an amazing help to my husband and I!

Have a great evening and good luck with all.Bye for now.

How does the court, or whoever sends the notifications, know that a credit card does not need to be notified any longer? Is there a new credit report generated when case is approved by trustee?
Oops I'm sorry, thank you. I should've noted I had one last question. Is there any way you could answer that as well? I apologize.

They only notify the creditors in the bankruptcy here that you include.If you don't include them and you are off the account they would not have notice of the bankruptcy.

Ray, Lawyer
Should I post that last question as a new question and begin the process again? I'm so sorry, don't want to be any trouble.
Thank you!
My lawyer said that they had to notify them even though I was being taken off because they are currently on credit report though?
I really appreciate your help. I'm sorry to ask so many questions.
Thank you so much for your help!
Ray, Lawyer