How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask legalgems Your Own Question
legalgems, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 10484
Experience:  Just Answer consultant at Self employed
Type Your Legal Question Here...
legalgems is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I currently reside in, MI and I am being seriously harassed

This answer was rated:

I currently reside in Jackson, MI and I am being seriously harassed by a person in Mesa, AZ. The person calls my phone non-stop and from different numbers, sends crazy texts, has now looked up people in my immediately family and began harassing them, and finally has even called HR at my work. I have repeated blocked this person, told them never to contact me, etc. They will not cease. The messages and voicemails are not threatening in nature but are threats to 'ruin my life by spreading untrue and completely fabricated' information. I filed a police report in my residing state after AZ told me I had to start there. The person is homeless and mentally ill who is harassing me. What, if any, steps can I take to stop this person?

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

I am sorry to hear this;

there are a couple of manners in which to deal with harassment:

1. apply for a protective order based on harassment.

This is the process for that:

It needs to be personally served on the other party-so a process server in AZ would need to be hired. Then if it is violated a motion is filed with the court so the court can punish the person.

2. report it to the police in the city where the person lives and the prosecution may proceed with a criminal case.

3. bring a civil action for harassment and defamation based on common law tort principles. This is generally only done if the party has any assets or a job, otherwise the judgment will not be collectible in most cases.

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you. I hope that you feel I have earned

5 stars 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟*****

as I strive to provide my customers with great service. ☺️

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. The terms addressing this can be viewed here:

Thank you and take care.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Are you 100% sure I file with Michigan given the person is in AZ? How can they be served if they are homeless?

Yes, as MI has control over laws that are violated in their state;

under the long arm jurisdiction statute the person submits to MI jurisdiction based on phone calls and other communication to the state (the idea is that their conduct in the state allows for the state to exercise jurisdiction).

Under the Full Faith and Credit clause, the sister states will give full force to judgments/orders rendered in another state.

Service can be by publication if the process server is unable to locate them; often the client will provide known addresses where the person visits (homeless shelter, friend's house, etc)

legalgems and 7 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you