How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 37852
Experience:  I am a practicing attorney with more than 3 decades of experience in the legal field.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a signed check made out to me with the date and

This answer was rated:

I have a signed check made out to me with the date and amount left blank. A family member owes me a substantial amount of money and gave me this check 3 months ago to fill in and deposit for payment. Since then, we have had some disagreement but the debt remains. There is little formal documentation of the debt, but I want to cash the check for partial payment in the amount of $1500. Is there any risk to me in doing so.
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: California
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No. I just want to know that I can cash the check

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

So long as the signature is that of the other person who own the bank account and they provided the check to you so you could fill in the correct amount and date for deposit---then it is perfectly legal for you to use the check for that purpose today----even if you and they have had a falling out. There is no risk to you in using the check for the purpose intended.

You may reply back to me again if you have additional questions, and I will continue to assist you.

I am not an employee of this site and I am only paid for helping you when you rate my service to you. Please remember to rate my service to you by clicking on the rating stars on your screen (preferably 5-Stars) so that I can be compensated for helping you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours well in 2017,


Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you. The circumstances are exactly as a I have described. I just want to ensure that this a legal action on my part because there will undoubtedly be emotional reactions as a result. I appreciate the quick response.

Thank you for your kind words. They are very much appreciated. Unfortunately, your gratitude alone is not sufficient for me to be compensated for my having assisted you, as I am not an employee of the site, but an independent site expert. I am not paid unless you rate my service.

I need for you to rate my service to you by clicking on the rating stars located on your answer page---preferably 5-stars. It is that easy.

Thanks in advance.

I wish you the best,


LawTalk and 10 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you

Thank you for your positive rating of my service. It has been my pleasure to assist you and I hope that you will ask for me on JustAnswer should a future need ever arise. I am generally available at least 6 days a week, and often 7, and it would be my privilege to assist you again in the future.

I welcome you to request my assistance in any future legal questions you may have, by simply asking for me by name, Doug, in the first sentence of your new question.

Thanks again.