How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Maverick Your Own Question
Maverick, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 6422
Experience:  20 years experience as a civil trial and appellate lawyer
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Maverick is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I'm not sure. I receive small checks issued to my deceased

Customer Question

I'm not sure. I receive small checks issued to my deceased Aunt, my sister and Myself. How may I open an account into which to deposit these? How do I notify the multiple companies my Aunt has passed and only my sister and I remain? What do I do about the lost or misplaced checks?
JA: When we are ready I'll take you to the appropriate web page. What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: The checks are to all three names followed by JT TEN What might that signify?
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I'm in CA
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: thats a beginnning
Submitted: 5 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Maverick replied 5 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer! My name is***** give me a few minutes to review your inquiry. Thank you for your patience.

Expert:  Maverick replied 5 months ago.

You or another family member will need to apply with the probate court to be appointed as your aunt's personal representative. That person will then have authority to endorse the checks so that you can deposit them in a joint account opened in the name of your sister, you and your aunt's estate. The JT TEN means that the check is issued jointly in your three names. As far as lost or misplaced checks, you will need to contact the issuer and report the lost checks and ask if they will issue a replacement check and put a stop on the lost one.

Here is the form you need to file to help get the "letters" needed to show someone is the authorized personal rep for your aunt's estate.

Note: Just Answer’s site disclaimer apply to all services including premium services. This information may not be correct, complete or reflect current legal developments for your specific jurisdiction. Please do not act or fail to act based on it alone. Most follow-up questions are answered within 24 hours. Please assign a feedback rating when we are done so JA will compensate me for this answer. Thank you.

Expert:  Maverick replied 5 months ago.

P.S. Please remember to assign a positive feedback rating on this so that Just Answer will compensate me for this answer. Thank you.