How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey, JD Your Own Question
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 26800
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Zoey, JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a son who is residing in Prison in the LA area. He

This answer was rated:

I have a son who is residing in Prison in the LA area. He has been through a lot...4 back an emergency neck operation...and he is only 41. Every time he is in pain...(and there has been horror stories from him and others who knows what he is going through) he reaches out to me. So, he is now in pain...and the doctor there believes in no pain meds. My son could be on a pain alternative solution...or some type of pain control. I am afraid he may go to the inmates who have contraband...and take things he should not be subjected to. I need someone to let the prison know that someone is interested in him to show that there could be pressure on them to step up and give him relief...enough to relax and heal. Could you help?


I'm Zoey.

I'm reviewing your post. Please be patient as I may need to research for you, and I may also have to respond to other customers.

Unfortunately, JustAnswer is not a law firm and per the terms of this website lawyers here cannot represent customers with their actual legal matters. All we can do is to provide general legal information.

Prisons don't give out controlled substances. That doesn't mean, however, that they can't offer your son some relief. If he has a serious medical condition it is a violation of his civil rights not to give him adequate treatment for his condition. It doesn't have to be the same as what he'd get on the outside, but the facility cannot just ignore his problems. If they dn't treat him, that would be considered cruel and unusual punishment, which is barred by the 8th Amendment to the Consitution.

You need to find him a civil rights lawyer to make some noise with the prison and/or to get him back before the judge to order him better care. The American Civil Liberties Union has been advocating for inmate rights all over the country. If you look up your local chapter of the ACLU, you can report this facility's neglect to them. If they can't look into that themselves, they should be able to direct you to a civil rights lawyer who can.

If you strike out there, you can contact your State Bar Association's Lawyer Referral Service, and they can direct you to a lawyer who can help stir things up.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
This was very helpful...glad I asked you as all I ever got was stonewalled. Thanks again.
Donald's mom

You're very welcome!

Prisons don't like to be questioned. They give families the runaround. A lot of criminal lawyers don't like to go up against local authorities. So your best bet is a civil rights lawyer if he's not getting adequat care.

I hope the ACLU can do something for him.

I strive for 5-star service. If I have addressed all of your concerns, please take the time to rate my service to you by selecting 3, 4, or (hopefully) 5 stars on the rating scale, as that is the only way that JustAnswer gives us Experts credit for our work. You would still be able to post further follow ups on this question thread about this for no additional cost, even after I've been rated.

Zoey, JD and other Legal Specialists are ready to help you