Maverick
Maverick, Attorney
Experience:  20 years experience as a civil trial and appellate lawyer
16823287

Second opinion] we were represented by a local attorney in a

Customer Question

Second opinion] we were represented by a local attorney in a well issue in our neighborhood in 1999. the subject well is owned by a new neighbor. He is represented by the same attorney that represented us. What do we do -- is this conflict of interest and how do we handle this matter?
JA: Has any conflict of interest been documented or proven?
Customer: We emailed correspondence we have during the 1999 matter to this attorney.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Yes, we were told by this attorney's assistant that the attorney had forgotten about this matter and that she told me that he told her that it was a conflict of interest.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: We asked this attorney's assistant if we could waive the conflict of interest and were told that he would draw a waiver. We have heard nothing from them to date.
Expert:  Maverick replied 4 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer! My name is***** give me a few minutes to review your inquiry. Thank you for your patience.

Expert:  Maverick replied 4 months ago.

Q. What do we do -- is this conflict of interest and how do we handle this matter?

It may very well be a conflict of interest since this attorney may not be able to ethically now represent the new neighbor's interests against your interests in the well. This is because the attorney may have gained confidential information about you during the 1999 representation which s/he could now use against you in favor of the new neighbor. So, I would not sign a waiver and I would require this attorney to withdraw from representing the new neighbor and cause the new neighbor to find a different lawyer.

Note: Just Answer’s site disclaimer apply to all services including premium services. This information may not be correct, complete or reflect current legal developments for your specific jurisdiction. Please do not act or fail to act based on it alone. Most follow-up questions are answered within 24 hours. Please assign a feedback rating when we are done so JA will compensate me for this answer. Thank you.

Expert:  Maverick replied 4 months ago.

P.S. Please remember to assign a positive feedback rating on this so that Just Answer will compensate me for this answer. Thank you.