How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 29802
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

A person I used to work with borrowed 3500 from me a year

Customer Question

A person I used to work with borrowed 3500 from me a year ago, She has paid me 1000 to date And still owes me 2500
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: New Jersey
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Not yet I am considering taking it to small claims court
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not really I have a written letter stating she still owes me
Submitted: 2 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 2 months ago.


I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.

The Small Claims Court limit in New Jersey is $3,000. If you're still owed $2,500, you can sue for the amount that you're still waiting for. You do not need a written contract to go to court. The statute of limitations in New Jersey is 6 years, so you have plenty of time to bring the case.

Small Claims Court is designed to be user-friendly, and no lawyer is required. Here is more information on the process:

If you have any questions or concerns about what I've written, please reply so that I may address them. If I did not address the specific thing that you wanted to know, it may not have come across clearly to me, so please restate that question. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I provide. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so that I get credit for answering your question. Thank you.

Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 2 months ago.

Do you have any questions about this?