How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RobertJDFL Your Own Question
RobertJDFL, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 13673
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
RobertJDFL is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What type of court do I go to to have my daughter committed

Customer Question

What type of court do I go to to have my daughter committed to a psychiatric facility?
JA: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in?
Customer: Texas
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: My daughter is bipolar, she refuses to take her medications, and she is physically threatening to me and her daughter.
Submitted: 3 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 3 months ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. I am a licensed attorney and look forward to helping you. I am reviewing your question and will reply back shortly.

Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 3 months ago.

Good afternoon,

In order to begin the Involuntary Commitment process, a Mental Health Warrant must be issued. This warrant serves as a Magistrate's Order for Emergency Apprehension and Detention. The Magistrate is the Judge who will issue the warrant. Keep in mind that this warrant does not guarantee admission, but rather guarantees evaluation for the need of treatment in the least restrictive environment.

To start the process, you'll need to contact your local County Clerk of Court office or Justice of the Peace Office and ask where you can get an application for a mental health warrant. Once the application is filed, a magistrate will review it, and if they find that your daughter is showing signs of mental illness or a risk of substantial harm to herself or others then a warrant will be issued and officers dispatched to take her and transport her to a facility.

The complete guide to the process and what happens at each step can be found here (courtesy of the Texas Law Help website).

Most importantly, if you find yourself in an emergency situation, and require immediate assistance, call 911 or your local police department. Some local police departments have special units that are trained to deal specifically with mentally ill individuals, but even if they don't, they can dispatch help to you. Tell that that your daughter suffers from bi-polar disorder, that she is not taking her medication, and that she is threatening harm to you/her child/herself (as the case may be). If officers find that she is a risk of harm or suffering in their opinion from mental illness, they can involuntarily detain and transport her to a facility, without the need for you to file the application.

Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 3 months ago.

Was there anything I could clarify for you or additional information you needed?

If you need clarification or additional information, please REPLY and I'll be happy to help further. Otherwise, please remember to leave a positive rating by clicking on the stars so I am credited for my time and assistance. This costs you nothing extra.​ Thank you!