How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask KJL LAW Your Own Question
KJL LAW, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 1451
Experience:  Attorney at law Office of KJLLAW
Type Your Legal Question Here...
KJL LAW is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have been sent a bill from Stoneberry for something I did

Customer Question

I have been sent a bill from Stoneberry for something I did not order. I did pay one payment until I realized this was not my bill or what I ordered. My account was paid off last fall. They told me I have to claim a form disputing this account that was fraudulently opened in my name. I also have to report it to the police. The item was placed on my porch, but I never got anything. They say I have to pay the bill because it is in my name. I ORDEDED NOTHING.
JA: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when did this happen?
Customer: State of Maine. Sometime in the middle of March I believe, not sure
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I reported fraud to my bank and got a new checking account. As my wallet was stolen as well
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: How can I prove I did not order or receive anything from this company?
Submitted: 3 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  KJL LAW replied 3 months ago.

Good afternoon

Expert:  KJL LAW replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. No attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site, the answers are for general information. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I’m sorry to hear about the fraud. There are ways to protect and stop this billing. There are currently two federal laws, the Mail, Internet or Telephone Order Merchandise Rule, and the Fair Credit Billing Act, that offer protections and procedures so you don’t have to pay for merchandise you never ordered, and were billed.

Always, you must first contact the seller by letter and dispute the charge. Which you did. You should mail a letter to the retailer disputing the charge as fraud, and ask for a return of your money paid because you did not order the product and never received and product, and any payment was made in error. If the company is asking you to mail back a statement of fraud, then you should mail it to them with a copy of a police report stating that you lost your wallet. If you go into the local police department they will give you an incident report showing the date and time that your wallet was lost. You can also file a complaint with the Maine Attorney General’s Fraud Division. Here is the link.

You should also file a complaint with the federal Trade Commission who regulates interstate consumer fraud. To report the fraud you can file online at

All of the above collectively should be enough to have the company Stoneberry return any monies paid, and stop billing you for merchandise fraudulently ordered in your name. File the police report, the complaints with the Maine attorney general, the FTC, and then mail copies with the dispute letter to Stoneberry.

I hope this helps.

It was a pleasure assisting you today, and I would appreciate if you would rate my service, so I will receive credit and payment for my work. After you rate the question you can ask follow up questions, and you will not be charged any additional money for the follow-up questions.

Related Legal Questions