How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tina Your Own Question
Tina, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 8775
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Tina is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I need an attorney that practices in Fla and NYS. The issue

Customer Question

I need an attorney that practices in Fla and NYS. The issue is about money being held in an escrow account in NYS but the defendant liv es in Florida and refuses to allow me to have my portion 50% of the escrow funds (11,000) and $4000 for the expenses to get the property sold to the closing. NYS will not allow me to file because the defendant is out of state, therefore I need to file in Fla. in order to get a judgement to get my money from the escrow account. I've tried a NYS attorney to negotiate, I requested mediation and still the defendant wll not grant me release of my money. Receipts, log and supportive documentation for damages caused by the defendant have all been submitted for payment to the defendant and he will not pay me.
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: New York State (NYS)
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I tried but NYS will not take my filing because the defendant lives out of state.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Yes, the defedant is my brother and we inherited our mother's home upon her passing. We were 50-50 on the deed, the house closing was June 2016 and I have been trying to get my money ever since. I also wonder that should I die would my share go to my brother since the 50-50 relationship of the sale has not been completed with receiving the funds from the sale even though they are in an attorney's escrow account?
Submitted: 3 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 3 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
I am sorry, none of the experts on this site are allowed to represent any customer of this site, you would need to get a local attorney at the same sites used by other attorneys, or
You can contact customer service about getting your deposit to this site refunded.