Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

I need title for abaned car 6 months on my propertytexas,

Customer Question

I need title for abaned car 6 months on my propertytexas
JA: What state is this in? And how old is the car?
Customer: 2000 texas
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: no it was for a reneter who disappered
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: that's it
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 3 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
The first thing you have to do is go through Texas DMV to identify the owner by filling out and submitting a VTR-275 form and the DMV should be able to provide the last registered owner's contact information. You would then have to make reasonable efforts to contact and locate the owner to see if they will agree to signing over a bill of sale to you on the car. If the owner refuses, then under Texas law you must notify the police to seek removal and they have to send their own letter to the last known owner and if there is no response they will remove it. Unless you had an agreement in writing for storage fees, the Texas law does not allow you to charge storage fees. Your only other option is to try to sue in court to obtain title by filing a petition to quiet title and prove your ownership in court and you would have to attempt to serve the last known owner and get the court to award you ownership.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I HAVE ALREADY BEEN TO DMV AND I TOLD YOU THAT 3 TIMES IN FIRST INTERVIEW ON HERE THIS IS ALMOST 6 HOURS ON HERE IN 2 DAYS