How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask KJL LAW Your Own Question
KJL LAW, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 1361
Experience:  Attorney at law Office of KJLLAW
Type Your Legal Question Here...
KJL LAW is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My brother is about to be released from a federal prison how

Customer Question

My brother is about to be released from a federal prison how can he apply for social security?
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: California the federal prison is in Lompoc.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: He was receiving social security before he was sent to prison. His number is(###) ###-#### What does he need to do upon release to receive it again?
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I don't think so.
Submitted: 2 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  KJL LAW replied 2 months ago.
Good evening
Expert:  KJL LAW replied 2 months ago.
Since your brother was released he is eligible to re-start his benefits and payments, which were temporarily suspended while he was in prison.
He may have signed a pre release agreement with the SSA, 90 days before he was released.
If he did not, then to initiate the process he needs to visit a local Social Security office with a document that shows and proves his release.
He should make an appointment with the SSA to institute the SSA payments. I hope this helps. Please don't forget to rate the question for credit and tracking so that I will receive credit and payment for assisting you with your question.
Expert:  KJL LAW replied 2 months ago.
If you have any other questions please just ask