Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

A couple of months ago you said that if I sell a house and

Customer Question

a couple of months ago you said that if I sell a house and owe back taxes that the irs can take the profits if there are any. If I dont sell the house and just buy another one will/can the IRS come for the back taxes? By the way over 10 yrs ago I was designated as "uncollectible" by the IRS.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If the IRS wrote the taxes off and did not put a lien on the property, then they would not collect on the proceeds. It is only if they have the lien on your current house that they will collect upon sale. If you just buy another house then they will not come after the new house if they wrote it off as uncollectable, they will simply let it go.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I've been scouring the IRS site for months trying to find that answer,so if I understand correctly, as long as I dont sell my current house I can buy another house and because I'm uncollectable the IRS wont put liens or come after the back taxes or my new house is that correct? I hope so. I've been trying to move to a house with my girlfriend and just want to know where I stand. Make sense?

Thank you for your reply.

There is no guarantee that the IRS will not lien the new home because you were declared uncollectable, it simply means that they have stopped pursuing the debt based on the financial condition they found you in. If the IRS finds you have assets that are hidden and they develop information on them, they can come to look for those hidden assets. So there is no guarantee they could not lien any asset they discover in your name. Uncollectible status does not mean they can never collect, it means that for the time they have found that you were uncollectible, but again if they discover assets you have they can collect from they can remove that status.