How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ray Your Own Question
Ray, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 41036
Experience:  30 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Ray is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Dispute with separated wife over selling house for a short

Customer Question

Dispute with separated wife over selling house for a short sale or foreclosure. Her attorney in mass told her to go for the latter. We had an approved buyer from our real estate agent. We have a first and second on the house. I have been paying on the second. I can't pay on the first without my wife's help and she has not helped at all. I am afraid that the 2nd will come after me if I stop paying. Jack daoust
JA: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: I am a Florida resident, my wife is still a mass resident. The house is in mass.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Yes
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: My wife says that she is filing bankrupt.
Submitted: 2 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Ray replied 2 months ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

Expert:  Ray replied 2 months ago.

Honestly if she files Chapter 7 you should consider it as well.Otherwise she is dumping this on you and any deficiency would be yours.You have to at least consider it.You can wait until the foreclosure is done and if there is a deficiency judgment.

Since the ex is not cooperating the reality is its all on your hands if she files Chapter 7 yourself.So again consider it for yourself as well.You may want to talk to a Florida Chapter 7 lawyer and talk about timing.People often buy a new car prior to filing knowing they are discharging the debt and that they may have worse credit for the next few years.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Thanks again.

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.

Expert:  Ray replied 2 months ago.

Chapter 7 lawyer for you if you have to file

Lawyer Referral Service Online – Available 24/7

Phone(###) ###-####br />Monday through Friday
8:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Dear sir, with all do respect, you are not answering my question. Will the first the second or both cone after all of my funds. I am not going to file bankrupt.