Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I have been estranged from my family and just found out my

Customer Question
last parent died a year...
I have been estranged from my family and just found out my last parent died a year ago without anyone telling me. There was a very large estate but when I checked probate court they said no wills have been filed. I checked land records and see that everything has been granted to my sister. Do I have any recourse?
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Virginia
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: as in a will?
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Legal
5/15/2017
Lawyer: legalgems, Lawyer replied 6 months ago
legalgems
legalgems, Lawyer

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

Do you know if they had a living trust?

Not that I know of. How would I find out?

You can look at the chain of title at the recorder's office; if the property states it is held in trust (usually it will state the trustee's name, and the name and date of the trust) then that means it is part of the trust estate.

That would allow the property to pass outside of probate.

If the property is not held in trust, then it is possible that the recipient obtained the property unlawfully and if the property was to pass via the laws of intestate succession (no will or trust, so it goes to the next of kin, in equal amounts) the heir can sue to void the transaction and then petition to open probate.

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you. I hope that you feel I have earned

5 stars 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟*****

as I strive to provide my customers with great service. ☺️

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. Thank you and take care.

Hello again; just checking in to see how things worked out;
if you have further questions please don't hesitate to reach out to me here on Just Answerand I will do my best to get you the requested information.
Thanks!

The above information is for educational purposes only. A consultation with a private attorney is recommended so they can apply the law to your specific facts, and suggest the best course of action. An attorney can be located here:
http://www.americanbar.org/groups/public_education/public-information/how-do-i-find-a-lawyer-.html

legalgems
legalgems
legalgems, Lawyer