P. Simmons, Attorney
Experience:  16 yrs. of trial experience
11181181

My parents are both 85 years old. My Mom has dementia. They

Customer Question

My parents are both 85 years old. My Mom has dementia. They are talking about putting the home mine and my sisters name. If my Mother needs a nursing down the road. What is the best way to save the home from Medicaid
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: OH
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: What you mean
JA: I hope not.
Customer: We have a Will and I am POA, but nothing filed
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I think thats it
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 5 months ago.

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

MEDICAID has a federally required "5 year lookback"

This means if you are anticipating mom will need to apply for MEDICAID within the next 5 years?

Then you do NOT want to transfer title.

Period.

If you do, she will not be eligible for MEDICAID.

That said, if you anticipate that she will not need MEDICAID for at least 5 more years? Then she can make the transfer.

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

Hi
Experts on this site (myself) are compensated ONLY if the customer (yourself) "rate" or "accept" the answer.

Do you have more questions regarding this?

Thanks for your understanding
Phil