Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

Second opinion] I had undergone a cosmetic hair procedure

with a Dr. in Chicago...
Second opinion] I had undergone a cosmetic hair procedure with a Dr. in Chicago, IL in 2015 and after 10-12 months felt I did not get any noticeable results. I spoke to Dr and he just offered to do another procedure for free w/o explaining what went wrong and why it would work second time. I reached out to an online forum to ask people's opinion on what to do next (simply stated the facts about my results and my opinion that I didn't see any noticeable results and it might even get worse). Additionally, I reached out the Dr. to request for a full refund as I was unsatisfied with my results. His team offered partial refund that I refused and informed him I would share my experience online on forums.
Few months later, I was reached out by the Doctor's attorney to not attempt any defamatory statements about Dr. abilities and performance. When I requested for evidence he was unable to provide me any. I requested a HT expert/mentor from an online forum to act as a mediator and see if we could settle this amicably. The Dr. and legal team now offered ~30% refund with me signing a confidentiality a agreement. They threatened to sue me for extortion if I did not do the same as I was requesting a refund. I simply refused their offer and officially withdrew my request for any refund now or in future. I thought that would put matters to rest and will not be bothered by them again.However, their legal team has asked me to enter into a mutual non-disparagement and confidentiality agreement failing which they would proceed with civil action for Dr. to protect himself and his business. Appreciate inputs from this forum on the following:- Is the above just harassment and empty threat or they have any probable cause for civil action ?- Based on discussion that my mediator had with their legal team, they mentioned about an attempt to extortion because of the original request for full refund. Can they still file a case of extortion against me when I have officially withdrawn my request for any refund ?- Based on discussion that my mediator had with their legal team, they mentioned about filling an injunction and proceeding with discovery ? Can they pursue that and on what grounds ? What should I do to just be prepared if they take that action ?- As mentioned, I had made an online post on a forum last year in April. Where I had stated all the facts of my case, but had also expressed my opinion that " I don’t see any positive results and feel it has even got worse. Can that be used in any way against me ? I believe the statue of limitation in IL for defamation is 1 year and this post has been over a year- Should I be logging a complaint with IL Department of Public Health and/or Cook County State Attorney about the harassment and bullying from their end to sign a non-confidentiality agreement ?- On further research online , I did uncover another thing that there is an existing Medical malpractice suit against this doctor for negligence. That the same legal team is defending. Should I inform them my knowledge of the same ?Appreciate your assistance.
5/14/2017
INFOLAWYER, Attorney
I see no basis for a claim against you. You pursued your case in good faith whether you recover or not. The fact others are suing too shows your claim was within reason!
INFOLAWYER, Attorney
INFOLAWYER, Attorney