Michael Connelly
Michael Connelly,
Experience:  Attorney at law at Self
79530334

How can I protect my rights against family ,they know I have

Customer Question

How can I protect my rights against family ,they know I have SSI and are displaying thoughts that I might be considered incapable of taking care of myself I am 73 They have shown signs and words about my health ,and memory.: Activity is spa 3 times a week usually swim 80 ft. 10 times. Worked up to Feb as a nurse. I want to know ahead of time
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Michael Connelly replied 4 months ago.

The general rule in most states is that in order or a family member to have you declared incompetent to handle your own financial affairs they would need to file a petition with the court that has jurisdiction and produce evidence that would convince the judge. The burden of roof would be on them and the court would have to appoint an attorney to represent you if you cannot afford one. Based on what you wrote I think they would have a tough time winning.