How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ray Your Own Question
Ray, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 42824
Experience:  30 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Ray is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We are trying to help our Son, He has had his car

Customer Question

Hello - We are trying to help our Son, He has had his car repossessed, his home is about a month away from foreclosure. He has no financial means at this time. Worked a job based of commission. He no longer has that job Has about $ 10 in loans and credit cards. We feel bankruptcy may be his only option
JA: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: No paperwork on his behalf. Illinois
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No nothing filed. But the mortgage company has told him that since he didn't pay enough -- It will go to foreclosure soon
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I can't think of anything
Submitted: 5 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Ray replied 5 months ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you I do appreciate your help. We are just confused on how to help him
Expert:  Ray replied 5 months ago.

I agree with you that Chapter 7 here is is only real option.He can file pro se without a lawyer and seek to discharge the debts he has and any deficiency from the house.It would allow him to start fresh without these hanging over them.

Expert:  Ray replied 5 months ago.
Expert:  Ray replied 5 months ago.

n a Chapter 7 bankruptcy, a debtor files court papers asking that certain unpaid debts be wiped out or discharged. A debtor is a person who owes money to someone else.

The debtor is allowed to keep some of their income and property. The property that the debtor is allowed to keep in bankruptcy is called exempt property. The property the debtor can't keep is sold to pay off their debts.

Most debts are canceled after a Chapter 7 bankruptcy, which means the debtor no longer owes them. But the following debts can't be canceled in a Chapter 7 bankruptcy:

These debts must still be listed on the bankruptcy papers filed with the court, but they can't be wiped out.

Chapter 7 bankruptcy also stops wage garnishment unless it is for child support or alimony.

I appreciate the chance to help you today and wish him the best.

If yuo can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.It takes about 12 months to file and complete here.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Okay -- So we just follow the step by step procedures and file them with the courts?
Expert:  Ray replied 5 months ago.

Yes just make sure he lists all debts and creditors so they all get discharged.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Okay I really appreciate it
Expert:  Ray replied 5 months ago.

Effective June 1, 2014, the total fees you must pay to file a bankruptcy petition are: $335 for Chapter 7. You are so we.lcome thanks for rating 5 stars and the best here.