How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 30168
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My lawyer decided he liked my ex wife better. took my

Customer Question

my lawyer decided he liked my ex wife better. took my paperwork and used it against me.He is now her lawyer. And he got his fees from my retirement plan. The divorce was in 1997.
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: ILL
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: He had the 1997 QUDRO amended in Dec 2016
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: The lawyer pretended to be my lawyer until he made a deal with my ex wife.
Submitted: 4 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 4 months ago.


I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.

Your lawyer violated the rules of professional conduct. A lawyer MAY NOT represent a new client against a former client in the same proceeding without the former client's written consent. You can file a complaint with the state.

As far as the ruling goes, it's possible to file a Motion for Reconsideration. It would help significantly to hire a lawyer, because this is a complicated situation.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I live in a small town area. All the other lawyers wont touch my case. They think I'm lying, but I'm not. It would cost me a fortune that I do not have to fight a lawyer in court.
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 4 months ago.

It should be very easy to prove that the same lawyer who represented you in 1997 is representing your wife now. All you have to do is get a copy of any document filed on your behalf and any document he filed for her. The courthouse retains those records.

You can file a bar complaint without a lawyer.

It is also possible to file a Motion for Relief from Judgment without a lawyer. It's more complicated, but possible. If you don't have access to a law library, it might help to advertise online for a law student who can do the research for you.

Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 4 months ago.

Do you have any other questions about this?