Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Lawyer
26798026

What can my wife's company do if she feels the company is

Customer Question

What can my wife's company do if she feels the company is being discriminated against (denied something) simply due to the fact that she owns it? We are separated but still live in the same house in a co-parenting agreement. Her company provides vocational rehabilitation services (including computers and internet access) to me as its only rehab client. I am on social security disability. I am also on sex offender probation and therein lies the problem. My probation officer would consent to me having computers and internet access for my vocational rehab if my wife were not the owner or overseer.
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 4 months ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

I'm sorry to say, there is no cause of action here. To sue someone for discrimination, a person must be targeted because of their gender, racial minority, sexual orientation, religion, or member of a similar protected class. Business owners are not a protected class. A probation officer has discretion to decide who their probationers can and cannot associate with, and it is within his discretion to find that your rehabilitation should be supervised by a neutral third party.

The fact that you would be the only client probably plays into the officer's decision. Growing the business might be one option if this is an issue that could come up again in the future.

I apologize that this was probably not the Answer you were hoping to receive. However, it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information. I hope you understand. Please rate my answer positively to ensure I am paid for the time I spent answering your question. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. Thank you.

Good luck.

Do you have any questions about this?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I need a solution. What's the solution?

The solution is to find another company to provide you with rehab. I'm sorry. The law does not always provide us with the outcome that we'd like. Again, my job is to tell you the law, not to provide solutions I know wouldn't be effective. Your wife has no cause of action against the state for not allowing her company to do your rehab. Parole officers get a lot of discretion. You can try asking about his concerns and discussing ways to go around them, but at the end of the day, if he says no, that's perfectly legal.

Please rate my answer positively to ensure I get credit for the time I spend helping. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. Thank you.