How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey, JD Your Own Question
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 27457
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Zoey, JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son was atacked by a guard in the Big Horn Jail in Basin,

Customer Question

My son was atacked by a guard in the Big Horn Jail in Basin , Wyo a year ago and we need a good lawyer to take this case, we have no money but will need one who will take a percentage when they win, or pro bono, Please help, Kaye Tufton
JA: What state is this in? And just to clarify, when exactly were you notified?
Customer: this happened in Wyo, and it happened April 13 th of last year, that guard twisted his left arm so bad he tore the roto cuff and the superior thing in his shoulder, and there has been nothing done, the dr, they took him too said he needed surgery right away and nothing has been done, I tried talking to the Marshals and they say not to call anymore, my son is in Jail in Shelby, Montana now,
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Yes'm, we filed with out a lawyer and have heard nothing back, the state of Wy, even gave us a case #*****
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: the Drs, have said if his arm is not taken care of right away his arm may never be normal, it has been over a year, and his left hand does not work now either because of it,
Submitted: 4 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 4 months ago.


I'm Zoey.

I'm reviewing your post. Please be patient as I may need to research for you, and I may also have to respond to other customers.

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 4 months ago.

Unfortunately, the terms of service of this site prevent us from giving direct referrals to lawyers and law firms. However, almost all civil lawyers will consider taking a case on contingency under favorable circumstances.

First of all, the case has to be strong enough that the lawyer believes he can win it. If he thinks he has no chance of prevailing and getting paid, he will turn the case away. Secondly, the value of the award has to be high enough so that it is worth his while to defer his income until the end of the case.

If you don't know where to find a good civil litigator to sue the Department of Corrections, contact the Montana Bar Association's Lawyer Referral Service. They charge a fee of about $50 for the referral which includes a free half hour consultation with a lawyer.

For a wider range of attorneys you can call a legal commercial referral service such as or Many of their attorneys are peer and client rated to help you narrow down the options.

However, before you contact the referral services above, this is not just a personal injury matter. It's a civil rights case involving brutality by a guard and also denial of adequate medical treatment, which is prohibited by the 8th Amendment to the Constitution. So you might want to contact your local branch of the American Civil Liberties Union. They advocate all over the country for the rights of inmates. So this may be something they will be willing to take on. If they cannot, they may be able to refer you to a local pro-bono civil rights lawyer or one who will take the case on contingency.

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 4 months ago.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.