Michael Gonzalez
Michael Gonzalez,
Experience:  Managing Member at EWF Title, LLC
93419235

I just received a notice of a garnish on my checks from

Customer Question

Hi I just received a notice of a garnish on my checks from midland funding. Do I have any options
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: california
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: It's from the court
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: My amount is 8.000.00 6.481.77 they say I owed and 1805.99 interest and filing fee of 25.00
Expert:  Michael Gonzalez replied 5 months ago.
Under California law, the amount a debtor’s take-home pay can be garnished is the lesser of 25 percent of weekly pay, or 50 percent, if that net pay exceeds 40 times the state or local minimum wage.
You can object to any amount garnished above that and seek Court intervention. By the way, both state and federal law provides you protection from your employer terminating you as an employee for having to comply with a garnishment order of your wages.