How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Irwin Law Your Own Question
Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 7416
Experience:  Lawyer & Real Estate Broker, 30+ years, foreclosure, land contracts, inheritance, probate.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Irwin Law is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I'm a years old woman, and I'm being sued for a credit card

Customer Question

Good afternoon,I'm a 69 years old woman, and I'm being sued for a credit card debt of $10M. Conversely, I'm not aware of this debt, and have asked that they provide me with evidence (i.e. receipts) to no avail. Also, I received a Motion for telephonic appearance at the hearing for June 7th, 2017 from the Judicial Court here in Pensacola Florida. In addition, I have a severe hearing loss, and even with my hearing aids at times have difficulty understanding what is being said. A letter from my Audiologist confirms this. My question is this: I cannot afford an attorney, and do I need one? I would like to represent myself, but do not have any discovery documentation to defend against. Can I oppose, however, I do not want to anger the Judge that granted this motion? Any assistance you can give me would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
Submitted: 5 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 5 months ago.

Good afternoon. I am sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation. You should have answered the complaint by now by filing a denial that you owe any money to the plaintiff? Plaintiff will have to tangible evidence of an account in your name and a letter history of charges that show a balance that they claim in the suit. This is usually done by a plaintiff filing a motion for summary judgment immediately after the defendant has denied the complaint. If this is a "zombie" debt . That goes back many years ago, then you may be able to file a an affidavit of denial, which will prevent a summary judgment and force the plaintiff to go to trial. You can have someone else with you at the telephonic conference who can listen in and interpret for you.

I hope that I have provided excellent service and, if so, would appreciate a 5 star rating. If not, please let me know how I can further assist you. There is no additional charge to you for rating me. A bonus is not required, but is always appreciated.

Thanks for using JUST ANSWER.