Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I am seeking an answer to: whether or not it is legal or not

Customer Question
I am seeking an answer...
I am seeking an answer to : whether or not it is legal or not for an employer to offer the consumption of alchohol while on the clock?
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Missouri
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not yet
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Legal
5/11/2017
Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 6 months ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
There is no law in MO saying the employer can or cannot allow employees to consume alcohol while on the clock. This is something that is purely within the employer's discretion. From a safety standpoint and from an employer liability standpoint it is the dumbest thing an employer can do, because if the employer allows such consumption they can be liable for any injuries to any employee consuming alcohol in the workplace and workers compensation insurance will not cover such an injury if alcohol was involved, even if the employer allowed it to be consumed.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.
Ok sir, I understand. Now I want to be straight forward with you. I have a medical disability and though I know better than to even consider consuming alchohol while at work, what I do wonder is just who's going to be the one to take the fall ( so to speak ) if I where to have a drink and hurt myself? With the employer offering it up freely and both of us knowing the potential risk it poses to me.
Thank you for your reply.
It is not illegal for an employer to give employees alcohol if they want to do so. If there is an injury and the employee has alcohol in their system, then the employer would be liable.
There is nothing you can do unless you are hurt by one of those employees who was using alcohol given by the employer, then the employer is liable to you for any such injury.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney