How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Gerald, Esq Your Own Question
Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 4194
Experience:  30 years of experience
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Gerald, Esq is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I'm a cigar distributor in Rhode Island I sold cigars to a

Customer Question

I'm a cigar distributor in Rhode Island I sold cigars to a smoke shop in Aiken SC and have never been paid for them
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: that's why I'm asking how do I file or report
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 5 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Gerald, Esq replied 5 months ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. Please bear with me while I review your question. I will respond fully shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Expert:  Gerald, Esq replied 5 months ago.


Thank you for your patience and thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow-up questions you have.

I am an attorney with 30 years of experience; I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question.

Can you tell me about how much money is involved? It will help in discussing with you your options. Also, as a Distributor are you incorporated or are you a sole proprietor?

Kind regards,


Customer: replied 5 months ago.
the amount is $1,900. I am an LLC
Expert:  Gerald, Esq replied 5 months ago.

Thank you. I am working on your answer now. It may take a few minutes to type. Please bear with me.

Expert:  Gerald, Esq replied 5 months ago.


Thank you for your continued patience.

I wish I was about to tell you something really good and that you would be happy with my response to you. BUT you are not going to be pleased with my answer.

Unless the SC store signed a contract with you agreeing that Rhode Island courts would have jurisdction over disputes, or unless the SC store has some physical presence in RI you are going to be hard placed to get your money from them.

This is because 1) you will have to sue them in SC and 2) SC will not let you represent your LLC by yourself. This means that you will have to hire a SC attorney to sue the store in SC. You will spend much much more than the $1,900.00 to bring the suit and there is no guarantee that you will collect.

I wish I could tell you something different, but that would be misleading you into wasting your valuable time and energy pursuing a long long shot.

I hope the information I provide is useful to you. I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow-up questions, feel free to ask.

If you ask a follow-up question and I do not respond immediately, it is because I am temporarily unavailable. I promise to respond as soon as I return. Please note that I am often unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.

Please do not forget to give me a positive rating. It adds nothing to your costs but helps me greatly. Thank you.

If you are dissatisfied with my response, PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or, if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you, and only ask the same from you.

Good luck.

Please note: Information is educational and not given as legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.

Kind regards,