Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

My son got arrested in Riverside California. How I can find

Customer Question
My son got arrested in...
My son got arrested in Riverside California. How I can find exactly why he is arrested and if he has assigned public lawer?
JA: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when did this happen?
Customer: Californa
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: He is in Beaumont Jail, and I have his number. I want to check his story about arrest and charge
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: He is a heroin addict. He walked from the program he was attending and was leaving on the streets.
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Legal
5/11/2017
Lawyer: RobertJDFL, Attorney replied 6 months ago
RobertJDFL, Attorney

Thank you for using Just Answer. I am a licensed attorney and look forward to helping you. I am reviewing your question and will reply back shortly.

Good afternoon,

You can check the booking information for him from the Riverside County Sheriff's office Jail Information Management System, here. It should tell you what he was booked into the facility for. You could also call the jail directly and ask for inmate booking, if that is easier.

Depending on when he was booked in, he likely does not have a public defender just yet. Assuming he remains in custody, he will be brought to a local court usually within 48 hours of your arrest. The first court date is called the arraignment, which is when he will be informed of the charge(s) against him and enter a plea.

The law says you have the right at all stages of the criminal process to be represented by a lawyer. When he first appears in court for the arraignment, he will be represented by the Public Defender's Office upon his request if he is indigent. In most courthouses, a Deputy Public Defender will be in the courtroom and will review the documents describing the charges against a defendant along with the police reports. After reviewing the paperwork, this attorney will meet with an individual to explain the charges and the legal process.

RobertJDFL, Attorney