RobertJDFL, Attorney
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
18284290

How do you have to cancel a contract in Texas? I don't know

Customer Question

how long do you have to cancel a contract in Texas?
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I don't know I signed a contract to purchase radio advertising, and don't want it.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 5 months ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. I am a licensed attorney and look forward to helping you. I am reviewing your question and will reply back shortly.

Good morning,

Unfortunately, most contracts cannot be cancelled under Texas law (or most state laws, in fact). Many consumers are under the impression that they have a 3-day right to cancel any and all consumer purchases. However, this is not true. The right to cancel law applies only to very specific situations.

The 3-day right to cancel law applies to sales made at facilities other than the seller's place of business. Such locations may be the consumer's residence and places rented on a temporary or short-term basis, such as hotel rooms or convention centers.

A "home solicitation transaction" takes place whenever a consumer purchases goods or services for more than $25 payable in cash or installments at a place other than the seller's place of business. The place other than the seller's place of business may be the consumer's home, but it may also be a place that the merchant has rented on a temporary basis, such as a hotel room or convention center.

Door-to-door sales laws do not apply to certain transactions, such as:

• Sales of insurance and farm equipment;
  • Real estate purchases under $100;
  • A sale where an attorney or broker assists in the transaction;
  • Sales made pursuant to prior negotiations at the merchant's business establishment, where the sale is the result of those negotiations; and
  • Sales conducted entirely by mail or telephone, with no other contact between the buyer and seller.

Under Texas law, the door-to-door seller must advise you orally and in writing that you have a right to cancel the sale within three days. He or she must also give you a contract or receipt stating the date of the sale, the name and address of the merchant, and a statement of your right to cancel the contract which includes the address where you send your cancellation notice.

You may wish to review the contract you signed, even if the above doesn't apply to you, to see if your contract has any clauses about cancelling the agreement.

Was there anything I could clarify for you or additional information you needed?

If you need clarification or additional information, please REPLY and I'll be happy to help further. Otherwise, please remember to leave a positive rating by clicking on the stars so I am credited for my time and assistance. This costs you nothing extra.​ Thank you!