Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
4460311

My mother recently passed and I do not know what my next

Customer Question

My mother recently passed and I do not know what my next step is
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Fisrt of is this free or do I have to enter credit card info before I can ask a lawyer?
JA: The Lawyer's require payment for their services. It's way less expensive on JustAnswer than face-to-face would cost.
Customer: What are the costs?
JA: You just pay a $5 deposit now and the rest only when you get a reply from the Lawyer. All of this is 100% satisfaction guaranteed, so you can get a refund if you're not happy for any reason.
Customer: Doesnt look like you guys can help, I just used everything I had to bury her. thanks
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Why connect I just told you I was broke?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 4 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
What state is this in?
Did she leave a will?
What is the approximate value of the property/accounts etc that she left behind? Were the accounts in her name alone and did they list beneficiaries?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I live in Missouri, she lived in Florida. There should be a will but I don't know where to start looking. She has has multiple accounts that I don't know the status of. I don't know the approximate value. She has or had beneficiaries listed. She has Cd's etc. I also found paperwork for an insurance policy that she had my father listed as her beneficiary but he passed 10 years prior to her. I called the company and they are mailing claim forms out to me. I just spent money I do not have to try to make sense of this mess. Can you assist and not cost me a fortune?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
What is my next step?

Thank you for your reply.

Before we proceed, please understand that we do cost a little, but less than you going to an attorney's office for this initial information. Also understand that we can tell you what the laws say you have to do and it will have to be done in FL with an attorney according to the FL rules of probate and FL law forbids any attorney on this site from representing anyone from this site.

If you would like for me to proceed to explain this to you, I am more than happy to do so. I just need your consent and affirmation you understand this.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Since this all has to be done in Florida I guess I will go ahead and have it done there when I return to finish up some more of her stuff. She left a mess that I have to be there to unravel. I am so sorry to have wasted your time but I don't think there is anything else you could help me with.

Thank you for your reply. I am sorry. I would have been more than willing to provide you information, but wanted you to be aware of the site rules and state laws. Best wishes.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thanks anyway

You are welcome.