Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  16 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
19958803

My daughter's father passed away and i have recieved a check

Customer Question

my daughter's father passed away and i have recieved a check in his name how do i get that check redirected to my daughter since she is a legal heir and is already reciving his income through survivor benifits
JA: Since estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: texas
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: it was sent as a child support refund i informed them then and provided information of his death and sent the check back yet they sent it again in his name i called them again they said it was meant for him yet they dont deal with the redirecting of it
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: i just would like to know how my daughter can legally claim this check as an heir since he is deceased
Expert:  Barrister replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses, but rest assured, I am working on your question. The website may offer a phone call option,but it is optional.

.

If the check was issued to the father, then is now belongs to his estate and only the rep for his estate could cash or deposit that money into an estate account.

.

So someone would have to file a probate case and be appointed the legal rep for the estate and then they could open an estate bank account and deposit the check. Then that money, along with any other money would go towards any estate debts or bills and then any surplus would go to his heirs.

.

.

thanks

Hello again,

.

I just wanted to touch base with you and check in.

.

Did you have any further questions I can help with?

.

.

Thanks much