Legal Eagle, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed to practice before state and federal court
97407003

Texas in Dallas It is about my dog, not really that is what

Customer Question

JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Texas in Dallas It is about my dog
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: not really that is what I am needing help with I had my dog, a basset hound, and then I moved into a two bedroom apartment with my friend. In november my roommate took my dog and apparently gave it away. I have been trying to ask him where the dog is and we have since moved out, I called hte police and they said it was a civil matter. Well I just came across the person who has the dog and I have his name and phone number but he is now not talking with me, so What do I need to do at this point?
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: That is the whole story. I just recently found this connection so that is why i reached back out to the police and they once again said they think it is a civil matter, so I need to know what to do in order to try to get my dog back.
Expert:  Legal Eagle replied 4 months ago.

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am an attorney with Just Answer. I'll be here to help today! Do you mind if I take a moment to review your question? By the way, the system will automatically ask for a phone call. By no means are you required to accept it.

You may want to consider just writing a demand letter to request your dog back. There’s a site that I’ve used in the past where you can find a good template for a demand letter (click here). In the letter you can state that you originally had ownership of the dog and that their possession of the dog is a violation of the common law of trespass to chattels (property).

Follow up questions are free so did you have any additional questions? If not, were you satisfied with my service today?