How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Legal Eagle Your Own Question
Legal Eagle
Legal Eagle, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 4538
Experience:  Licensed to practice before state and federal court
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Legal Eagle is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Texas in Dallas It is about my dog, not really that is what

Customer Question

JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Texas in Dallas It is about my dog
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: not really that is what I am needing help with I had my dog, a basset hound, and then I moved into a two bedroom apartment with my friend. In november my roommate took my dog and apparently gave it away. I have been trying to ask him where the dog is and we have since moved out, I called hte police and they said it was a civil matter. Well I just came across the person who has the dog and I have his name and phone number but he is now not talking with me, so What do I need to do at this point?
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: That is the whole story. I just recently found this connection so that is why i reached back out to the police and they once again said they think it is a civil matter, so I need to know what to do in order to try to get my dog back.
Submitted: 4 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Legal Eagle replied 4 months ago.

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am an attorney with Just Answer. I'll be here to help today! Do you mind if I take a moment to review your question? By the way, the system will automatically ask for a phone call. By no means are you required to accept it.

Expert:  Legal Eagle replied 4 months ago.

You may want to consider just writing a demand letter to request your dog back. There’s a site that I’ve used in the past where you can find a good template for a demand letter (click here). In the letter you can state that you originally had ownership of the dog and that their possession of the dog is a violation of the common law of trespass to chattels (property).

Expert:  Legal Eagle replied 4 months ago.

Follow up questions are free so did you have any additional questions? If not, were you satisfied with my service today?