Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I was looking for some legal advice about petit larceny for

Customer Question
Hi! I was looking for...
Hi! I was looking for some legal advice about petit larceny for someone that has a clean record.
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: New York. Schenectady County to be exact
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: yes! I think. Well what happened was that the person was caught stealing at walmart and the police were incolved and now there is a hearing date next thursday
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: yes, the person has been caught before, however, nothing happened the first time
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Legal
5/10/2017
Lawyer: Zoey, JD, Attorney replied 6 months ago
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney

I'm Zoey.

I'm reviewing your post. Please be patient as I may need to research for you, and I may also have to respond to other customers.

Has he appeared in court yet on this case? Does he have an attorney? What was the value of the property he allegedly stole? How old is the defendant?

I was hoping for a bit more information, but I'll provide you with an answer now.

In my experience, the first petity larceny/shoplifting offense can be bargained down to a simple trespass or a disorderly conduct, either of which is a violation and not a crime and will seal at the end of a year. In that way, the defendant will be able to avoid a misdemeanor conviction and maintain his clean record.

He needs to plead not guilty on his court date, and if he cannot afford a lawyer can then ask the judge to appoint him a public defender.

Please reply to this question thread if you need clarification or have a follow up.

Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney