Legal Eagle, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed to practice before state and federal court
97407003

I am answering a claim and want to add a counterclaim in tn

Customer Question

i am answering a claim and want to add a counterclaim in tn chancery court, hardin county tn
JA: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in?
Customer: TN
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: The Plaintiff filed a claim in December 2016 but I had an attorney at that time. My attorney said their attorney would not enforce the 30 days because we were in discussion At settlement, The Plaintiff said they would get a new survey performed and send to us. They did not. Instead they filed a motion to default judgement because I did not file a response. They did this because I fired my attorney in Feb and trying to get me on a technicality.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have just now completed my answers BUT prior to mailing I dont know if I need to counterclaim now or wait. I am not sure
JA: OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow at the top right corner of this box.
Customer: Am i going to get information or why would I minimize you?
Expert:  Legal Eagle replied 5 months ago.

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am an attorney with Just Answer. I'll be here to help today! Do you mind if I take a moment to review your question? By the way, the system will automatically ask for a phone call. By no means are you required to accept it.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. I often represent people who are responding to lawsuits. One of the things that I make as a matter of habit is including all of my counterclaims that I can think of along with my answers. You have to remember that the courts prefer efficiency so if you have a counterclaim, you should add it. If you click here, you can find a template of a response to a lawsuit that may help you out.

Follow up questions are free so did you have any additional questions? If not, were you satisfied with my service today?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I am currently representing myself due to time constraints. I want to hire an attorney. I feel confident answering their claim but not confident in adding the counterclaim. do you think it still best to add now or let my new attorney add it?

If you're under a time constraint, I would add it now. Your new attorney may be able to either dismiss or support those counterclaims at a later point. But if it's not on the record now, you may not be able to assert them later.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
can you send a form for counterclaim to add to answers?

What's interesting, is that all you have to do is put a new heading called COUNTERCLAIMS and then put in what your claims are underneath on the same document as your answer.

Did you have any follow up questions?