How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LegalPro54 Your Own Question
LegalPro54, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 12945
Experience:  General practitioner with diverse legal experience.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
LegalPro54 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was involved in a armed robbery. 1 suspect under age who

Customer Question

i was involved in a armed robbery . 1 suspect under age who was the one that held a gun to my head . Took my car high speed chase wrecked car 2 suspects were caught . Can i get anything out of this ?
Submitted: 5 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  LegalPro54 replied 5 months ago.

Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question.

There are a number of tort causes of action you could allege against this individual, assuming you have suffered severe emotional distress which would be expected after a traumatic incident like this. The problem is that any judgment you obtain will probably never be paid, since this person probably has no assets (wealthy people tend not to commit armed robbery) and is going to be in jail for some time with no source of income. This means it won't be possible to find an attorney wiling to assist you on a contingency fee basis, which in turn means you'll have to pay hourly and front all court costs. So, you'll wind up spending 5k or more to obtain what will presumably be a judgment by default against this individual only to be unable to collect on it. In other words, litigation would very likely put you in debt, not put money in your pocket.

If you were on the clock for your employer at the time of this incident and have suffered PTSD or other emotional effects requiring medical treatment or rendering you disabled, you can likely file a workers compensation claim through your employer's workers compensation insurance since this would be considered a work-related injury. But if you were not working for your employer at the time this happened, then this of course is not an option.

The damage to your car should be paid by your car insurance. Your deductible should be covered through the restitution order imposed by the court in the criminal sentencing of this individual. But again, you have a problem regarding collection, since it's unlikely this person has any money to pay.

I hope that you find this information helpful. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.

If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Very best wishes moving forward.

* Disclaimer *

Just Answer is a venue for informational and educational purposes only. No attorney-client relationship is formed by these communications.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
the suspect that robbed me was a minor he was 17 years old . Could I go after his parents holding them accountable?
Expert:  LegalPro54 replied 5 months ago.

No, unfortunately the parents would not be liable. And again, you would have an issue with judgment collection, but that's really besides the point because they are not legally liable for crimes committed by their 17 year old child. I wish I had better news in this regard.

Again if there is anything more I can do for you just let me know. It's my pleasure....

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
thank you for your help
Expert:  LegalPro54 replied 5 months ago.

You are very welcome. If I have answered your questions, I would be very grateful for a positive rating of my service (using the stars at the top of the page) so that I may receive credit for assisting you.

I wish you the best in recovering from this extremely traumatic event.