How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 37855
Experience:  I am a practicing attorney with more than 3 decades of experience in the legal field.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son is at LSU in Baton Rouge. Someone slit his tires

Customer Question

My son is at LSU in Baton Rouge. Someone slit his tires twice and key he vehicle. The police after the second time asked who he thought it could be. He told them whom he thought it might be. There was no arrest but now that person is suing him for the accusation. He also has this person on camera saying I am going to steal this camera and it disappeared.
JA: What state is this in? And how old is the car?
Customer: Louisiana
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: All of the incidents were reported and there were police reports. He was served this morning by the constable who stated " why are they suing you you should be suing them"
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Two of his friends asked the individual and their comment was " It might have been me" The security at his apartment stated they had been a problem in the past
Submitted: 5 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  LawTalk replied 5 months ago.

Good morning,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your son's situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

The threatened lawsuit against your son will fail because reporting a crime or even a suspected crime, including identifying to police the possible identity of the criminal, is fully protected speech and is immune from civil suit for defamation. So there is simply no legal basis upon which the alleged defendant can sue your son, and win, based on his reporting the crimes to the police.

You may reply back to me again if you have additional questions, and I will continue to assist you.

I am not an employee of this site and I am only paid for helping you when you rate my service to you. Please remember to rate my service to you by clicking on the rating stars on your screen (preferably 5-Stars) so that I can be compensated for helping you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours well in 2017,


Expert:  LawTalk replied 5 months ago.

Good afternoon,

Is there anything else I can assist you with today? It is possible that your questions and issues might be better served by an in-depth conversation with me. If you are interested, for a very nominal charge I can offer you a private phone conference.

Please know that I answered your question in good faith, providing you with the information that you asked for, and I did that with the expectation that you would act likewise and rate my service to you. If I have already provided you with the information you asked for and you have no additional questions, would you please now rate my service to you by clicking on the rating stars so that I can be compensated for assisting you? Rating me costs you nothing as you have already paid the deposit for my help. All rating does is ensure that I am paid for my time in working with you.

Thanks in advance for your rating of my service. It is greatly appreciated.

I wish you the best in 2017,