Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

I was fired from my job at a church last Tuesday, May 2nd

Customer Question

I was fired from my job at a church last Tuesday, May 2nd without warning or put on probation. My review in the middle of March was good, I was going to classes in May to obtain a Church Business Administrator certification. Is there anything I can do?
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Minnesota
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Not sure what you are asking?
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I don't think so
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 5 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Under the MN rules on employment, unless you had a written contract to the contrary, your employment was at will. An at will employee can be fired for no reason at all or for any reason not based only on the age/race/sex/disability/national origin of the employee and the employee has no rights to complain about the action. Many employees believe they have some type of legal right to their job, but legally the law is quite to the contrary and says the employer does not need to give any warning, hearing or even appeal rights and can terminate any employee at any time without any reason.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.