Expert James
Expert James, Lawyer
Experience:  dasdasd
23431962

Second opinion] My dad is dying he doesn't have a notorized

Customer Question

Second opinion] My dad is dying he doesn't have a notorized will. Just a paper he wrote himself about certain things going to certain individuals. I disagree with him giving his car to a dishonest user friend. I do not want her to have this car. Do I legally obligated to hand it over?Krista
Expert:  Expert James replied 5 months ago.

Hi Krista,

I'm sorry to hear about your father.

If the will was not witnessed and was not completely in his handwriting, then it is not a valid will. When there is no valid will, the estate passes "intestate," which means there are statutes that explain what happens.

Intestate statutes do not give anything to someone who is not a family member, Moreover, if the title of the car is in your father's name, and this person is not on the title, she has no claim to it.

I hope that answers your question. Please remember to click on a rating at the top of your screen and hit the submit button - 4 or 5 stars are appreciated.

A BONUS is also appreciated if you feel I've earned one today. And remember, you can still ask follow-up questions if you need to.

If you want to talk on the phone, I am available to do that for an additional fee.

And if you have new questions in the future, you should write FOR JAMES in the question. That way, I become your personal Professional.

Thank you!

Hi, I’m just checking in to see how things are going. I see you have reviewed my answer but the question is still open and no credit has been given. Do you require additional assistance? Please let me know. Thank you!