INFOLAWYER, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses
11313492

A plumber took a year to work on my toilet. He never

Customer Question

A plumber took a year to work on my toilet. He never finished the job, but he kept sending invoices for work that did not accomplish anything. I refused to pay and he sued me. The judge awarded the bungler and found me guilty.
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: New York
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: We had the trial today, and various invoices and such were admitted as evidence.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: My wife and I had a friendly discussionn with the plumber. We made a good faith payment of $1,200.- and the plumber promised to finish the job within the following week. He never showed up. In fact, he already had filed the suit against us, because the court notification for the trial was signed before our conversation. The plumber actually deceived us.
Expert:  INFOLAWYER replied 5 months ago.
Plumber is in breach and should return the deposit paid. If you sue in court you may end up with a judgment. The judgment generally allows you to levy on bank accounts, lien real estate and work with the sheriff office civil enforcement division. Many lawsuits result in settlement - which expect the judge to encourage. You want to prepare your case by creating a time line starting from the earliest event. For each event, write down key details and witnesses and if there is a document that relates to it, save it and refer to it. This timeline can be very valuable in narrating your case and presenting it later in a concrete and specific way. If I can clarify or explain anything further, just ask me. kindly rate me 5 stars.