Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  16 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
19958803

I'm moving to a new apartment that has a no pet policy. I

Customer Question

Hi. I'm moving to a new apartment that has a no pet policy. I have a well document reason, for my emotional support dog. Supported by my psychiatrist. My question is do I have to tell the landlord, after I've signed and been approved for this apartment.
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: California
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: clarify please
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: once again, need EC dog for documented reasons, I really want this place, do I have to disclose this prior to moving in or after I've moved in can I give the docs to land lord. Could I be evicted
Expert:  Barrister replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses, but rest assured, I am working on your question. The website may offer a phone call option, but it is optional.

.

My question is do I have to tell the landlord, after I've signed and been approved for this apartment.

.

You are under no legal obligation to bring this to the landlord's attention, but would be wise to do so just to head off any altercation later on when the landlord thinks you have a pet in violation of the lease. An ESA is not a "pet" under federal law and is an "assistive aid" like a wheelchair or walker.. So I would suggest having a copy of your prescription from your licensed health care provider stating that the dog is a medical necessity handy and if you don't choose to disclose this immediately, do so at the first hint that the landlord might be aware of it.

.

As an aside, in addition to being an attorney, I have also been a landlord for over 26 years...

.

.

thanks

Hello again,

.

I just wanted to touch base with you and check in.

.

Did you have any further questions I can help with?

.

.

Thanks much