Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I'm $2300 for sn apt. The landlords are very thorough in

Customer Question
I'm $2300 for sn apt...
I'm $2300 for sn apt. The landlords are very thorough in writting their laws. They have not provided me with normal water pressure in my unit due to a leak they have in the building. I can't stand it, showers are too hot or cold, no pressure in the sink. They make excuse after excuse but nothing changes. What are my rights?
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: Cardiff by the saw, california.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Cardiff by the sea, california
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: This is a very shrud corp. they've thought of every loop whole. I don't feel like I stand a chance here.
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Legal
5/9/2017
Lawyer: legalgems, Lawyer replied 6 months ago
legalgems
legalgems, Lawyer

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

I am sorry to hear this;

Every lease has an implied warranty of habilitability, and an implied warranty of quiet use and enjoyment.

Under the "implied warranty of habitability," the landlord is legally responsible for repairing conditions that seriously affect the rental unit's habitability; the landlord must repair substantial defects in the unit and ensure compliance with state and local building and health codes. The idea is that it is a safe living environment. However, the landlord is not responsible under the implied warranty of habitability for repairing damages that were caused by the tenant or the tenant's family, guests, or pets.
The implied covenant of quiet use and enjoyment means that the tenant is entitled to the peaceful use of the premises.

The above is based on a reasonable person's standard so if a reasonable person would find it unacceptable then that would go to the quiet use and enjoyment; if there is no water or hot water that would go to habitability.

Here is an advisory from the state:

• Plumbing facilities in good working order, including hot and cold running water, connected to a sewage disposal system.

So the landlord has an affirmative duty to provide functioning water.

http://www.dca.ca.gov/publications/landlordbook/problems.shtml

A tenant can repair and deduct if proper notice is given and the leak is in their unit:

http://www.dca.ca.gov/publications/landlordbook/repairs.shtml

Otherwise they would be allowed to withhold rent-the amount of rent that represents the concern (so for example the fair rental value as the property actually is, compared to that being paid).

That link above explains the process.

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you. I hope that you feel I have earned

5 stars 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟*****

as I strive to provide my customers with great service. ☺️

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. Thank you and take care.

legalgems
legalgems
legalgems, Lawyer