Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

I own a commerical building. My tenant want to me fix her

Customer Question

I own a commerical building. My tenant want to me fix her AIR CONDITIONER.
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: california, sacramento
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: i just want to know am i responsible to fix her AC
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 4 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
On a commercial tenancy, the landlord is not typically liable for repair of HVAC systems and the lease specifies that the tenant is liable for maintenance of those systems. If the lease does not specify that the tenant is liable, then legally you would have to make the repairs as landlord. You need to go back and look at the lease as commercial tenancy is not like residential where the landlord is liable for everything. Only if the lease is silent about the repairs can the tenant hold the commercial landlord liable.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
that what the old landlord told her. It is still working but she say it is not cold enough for her. I don't know why she left the AC on all day even when the office is closed. Can I tell her to turn it off when she is not working. I am paying her AC bill.

Thank you for your reply.

You are not liable for those repairs. She left it on because she did not care if it broke or not because she thought this was like a residential tenancy and she could bully you to fix it and because she is not paying the AC bill. You can tell her to turn it off or you will begin charging her for the cost.