Ray, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law
8534270

My husband is in a skilled nursing facility in. He is not

Customer Question

my husband is in a skilled nursing facility in Virginia. He is not thriving and wants to come. Can I take him out any time I feel he would do better at home? I signed a form at entry that says they need a five day notice to leave. Is this legal?
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Richmond, Virginia
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No. I just want to bring him home.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: He is going down hill physically/mentally because he begs me to take him home.
Expert:  Ray replied 4 months ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

Expert:  Ray replied 4 months ago.

You can goo and claim your husband here.The facility may charge you the 5 days you agreed to but here you are allowed to leave.He is strictly a voluntary resident.My only caveat to you is skilled care means he needs around the clock nursing level care.I want you to understand here to make sure you can provide for his needs.I understand why you would want to try and take him home, just wanting you to understand thats a real commitment if you don't have any back up or relatives to give you respite care.

But legally you can go and remove him here, you may be billed for the 5 days if you agreed to this.

I appreciate the chance to help and wish you both the best here.I will say a little prayer for both of you.

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.